Thursday, November 8, 2012

It looks like soup to me

Husband is not as much of a fan to macrobiotic lifestyle as I am, so every fall when I start to get my CSA box and I look at the ingredients as say "It looks like soup to me," he rolls his eyes. He knows what he is in for - local nutrition served warm to heal the soul through a big bowl of soup.

The season began this past Friday. My box came with
Delicata Squash
Savoy Cabbage
German Butterball potatoes
Green Romanesco,
Fennel
Baby Broccoli
carrots
Dino Kale

Now I did not use all of this in my soup, but here is my soup:

2 Delicata squash - these are similar to butternut squash but a lot smaller. You have to peel them, take out the seeds and then cut them up

4 full size carrots
1 Savoy Cabbage
A pound of butterball potatoes (or any potatoes)
2 leeks - I had to buy this at the store since it did not come in my box
Herbs from the garden or dried - thyme, basil, oregano, and rosemary to taste
Pepper to taste

Either 4 tbspns butter OR oil depending on if you like to keep it vegan.

Put all of the ingredients in a large pot and saute everything for about 20 min. Stirring at least every 5 min. Then add 4 cups of veggie broth - you can add more if you like your soup brothful - I like mine stewlike.

Cook for about 1 hour more, stirring every 20 min. The potatoes should become really soft and creamy.

Say yum !

No comments:

Post a Comment