Wednesday, May 22, 2013

7 Food Cleanse and Recipes

I have not posted in awhile because I have been in a food rut. However, I started a 7 food cleanse that I saw in a magazine, gave it my own Pamela twist, and have come up with recipes based on it. 

The cleanse focuses on eating 7 foods :  broccoli (which also includes kale and Brussels sprouts so really is 3 foods in 1), lentils, spinach, avocado, almonds, beets, and blueberries. All of these have various nutrients that allow your body to cleanse toxins. You are allowed to add spices (including onions, garlic and the regular ones you think of) and olive oil. You should eat only these foods for at least 3 days (7 if you can do it) and then for the rest of the month only eat really clean foods - nonstarchy veggies (no potatoes including sweet potatoes, no corn, etc), fruit (not dried though as those are highly concentrated in sugar), and add in quinoa and brown rice as your good carbs. Under no circumstances are you to eat: sugar, processed foods, alcohol, caffeine, dairy, eggs or other meat products, or gluten during this time. After 30 days you can slowly introduce those back into your diet - but pay attention to how they make you feel. You do not want to eat anything that makes your body feel terrible, so remember to stay away from junk food for the most part even after the cleanse. Your body should feel good by the third day. I am on day 4 and it has been easy so far. 

So Recipes:

Very Berry Smoothie - 
1 cup almond milk
1 cup water
1 cup frozen kale
2 cups frozen blueberries
(I also added an Emergen-C vitamin packet) 
Blend and Enjoy! 

Kale Lemon Salad- amounts depend on how much salad you want to eat. 
Kale, green onions, avocado, 1 tbspn olive oil, and juice of 1 lemon 

Veggie Curry 
Either make or buy vegan daal (I prefer the yellow lentils. They typically use some butter in Daal so if you do not buy a vegan one, then it will likely have some butter, which is not on the cleanse, but up to you how strict you want to do it) .
Saute broccoli, kale, and brussel sprouts for 5 min, add 1 cup daal for flavoring, and then saute for 2-5 more mins until veggies are ready to eat. 

Broccoli Mustard Salad - again amounts vary by how much you want to eat/make
Blanche broccoli for about 5 min. Then add green onions (I used 3 white and green), avocado, and then for the dressing mix dijon mustard and olive oil. 

SAY YUM -- I have not been hungry at all and I have had no cravings since the 2nd day (dont know how long that will last though lol). I ate a bunch of junk on mother's day and my daughter's birthday and decided I needed a nice cleanse. I always do one for a month during the summer anyways, and this one sounded right up my alley since I already eat all of the allowed foods in bulk (except for beets - I hate beets). 




1 comment:

  1. You should try Savila.

    I take a milk-thistle, japaenese rasin tree, and dandelion root mixture in the morning with a multi-vitamin. Then, about 30 minutes later I have the savila.

    I buy the pencas, and cut away the outer layer at use. The trick, is to not get the bitter out skin fluids in the membrane. You then chop up the membrane and drink it with lemon-water. Keeps you full for hours, is good for your rinones, and helps "cleanse"

    ReplyDelete